Background by Freepik

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Book Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa



“Only death will take me away from you, vampire girl," he whispered. "And even then, I'll watch over you from wherever I end up.”- Zeke Crosse
My Rating: 
Book: The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden#2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Page Numbers: 446 pages
Publication date: April 30th, 2013

 

Synopsis:
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters. Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again. Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

My Review:
I received an ARC copy from the publisher to read and review in return. (- And thank GOD for that...!)

Oh Julie Kagawa, you may be pure evil and fit to give any reader one heart attack after the other, but you're also completely and utterly brilliant! The Eternity Cure is absolute proof that the Blood of Eden series is so perfectly constructed in every way possible and that it is impossible not to fall in love and completely become obsessed with. Any true paranormal fan will instantly be captivated with everything Ms. Kagawa has to offer; she did it magnificently in her first book of the series, The Immortal Rules (review), and enhanced this talent of hers by ten fold in The Eternity Cure. Each chapter had me on the edge of my seat, my heart beating at a dangerous pace, and I became so involved with the story and ALL of the characters that my emotions ran completely wild throughout each chapter of this book. I do not know where to begin to describe how fantastic this book is, so let's get into the details!


The Eternity Cure commences where we left off in the first book. Allison Sekemoto, the heroin of this marvelous series, is on another dangerous journey to find her dear Sire, Kanin. She is pulled by the blood bond she shares with him and is determined she is following the right route to save him from the grips of the terrifying and hostile vampire named Sarren. But what Allison meets at the end of this journey is not Kanin, but rather the very humorous and sarcastic Jackal, her blood brother she had heavy conflicts with back in in the first book. Eventually they join forces to find their maker, and to relinquish him from his torment inflicted by Sarren. This in turn leads them through a heart throbbing, nail biting, and ultimately dangerous journey which is filled with non stop shockers, eerie and sarcastic humor, irreplaceable romance, bitter drama, and so much more.

The amount of terrifying adventures Allison is conflicted with is more than I ever could have expected. She was in one deadly situation after the other, which just makes prominent what an awesome, brave, headstrong, and kick ass heroin she truly is. Move aside Katniss Everdeen, because Allison Sekemoto has just taken the throne! I absolutely loved Allison in this book as not only were her usual unconventional qualities shown throughout, but we also got to see many different sides of her. Her strength not to lose her humanity is so moving, that I was consistently on the edge of my seat once that humanity was in jeopardy.

Jackal definitely represented a big important piece of this crazy story. I truly hated his character for what he had done in the first book, but once I got to know him through The Eternity Cure, my feelings for him completely subsided! Due to the fact that this book was filled with so much more violence, terror, macabre and bloodcurdling happenings than in the first book, it was so refreshing and uplifting to have Jackal present during Allison's journey, who spilled out his priceless humor and sarcastic remarks even in the darkest and hopeless moments.

My very first acquaintance with Kanin in The Immortal rules made me strongly admire his character. This admiration towards him only intensified more and more in The Eternity Cure. His power, mentally and physically, devotion, serenity, dauntlessness, and persistence is what makes up Kanin, and it is what makes me completely in love with his character. The bond between him and Allison flourishes even more throughout this book, and it is so moving and rewarding to see this unfold.

The romance between Allison and Zeke is incomparable to those which I have ever encountered in other books. Their love is pure, impossible, destined, challenging, irrevocable, and truly perfect. I think it is safe to say that I have joined the club of those readers who consider Allison and Zeke, despite of their undeniable differences, the ultimate fictional couple!

No words can justify how much in love I am with Allison's story. I have embodied so many different emotions while reading this book, that at many times I felt in desperate need to catch my breath, especially towards the final closing chapters. I screamed, shouted, gasped, cried, hurray'ed, swooned, gasped again, shouted again, and shed many more rolling tears down my cheeks throughout the entire book... and no usually I am not a little emotional monster like this!

I recommend this book to those who are looking for something which will shake their bones to the core, tear your heart into little pieces and then to be put back together by the most symbolic and strong love ever conjured, and to become acquainted with the most heartwarming, treacherous and merciless characters ever produced. This series will be huge (as it already is), so if you want to be part of the readers who know the true essence and power of Ms. Kagawa's talents, then I dare you to pick up this book and read it right now!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This book sounds so epic. And it's pretty clear that you LOVED it. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes definitely did! You should definitely also read the series! I am sure you'll love it :)

      Delete
  2. 'Oh Julie Kagawa, you may be pure evil and fit to give any reader one heart attack after the other, but you're also completely and utterly brilliant!'

    Hehe! I was laughing while reading this fantastic review. It's clear you enjoyed this book and I can't wait to pick up The Immortal Rules. I HAVE TO read it.

    Great review, Blogger-Buddy! :) I'd love to see more FUN reviews like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am happy I was there to make oyu laugh! I should make my reviews a bit more fun like this, not so boring and square ;)

      I can't wait for you to start with the series! I am curious to what your review will look like ;)

      Thanks for stopping by dear blogger buddy!:)

      Delete
  3. "Move aside, Katniss..." That is a old statement, Ms. Peach, but I cannot argue! I love Kanin, too, and the romance with Allie and Zeke is incredible. Yes, there's angst, but it's completely believable. Let's count down to the sequel!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeesss it definitely is, haha, and happy to hear I'm not the only one :)

      Im thinking the sequel will be out next year April between the 24-30th, since the first book was out on April 24 2012 (I believe) and the second April 30th 2013... so there seems to be a pattern! But that is still such a long wait to gooo!! :(

      Delete
  4. Haha! This review is too entertaining. "Move aside Katniss Everdeen"! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I felt that I really had to express my feelings on the matter ;) Thank you for stopping by!!

      Delete