Background by Freepik

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Book Review: The Devil's Third by Rebekkah Ford

My Rating:  
Book: The Devil's Third
AuthorRebekkah Ford
Page Numbers: 346 pages
Publication date: November 20th 2013
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMVJ5CK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00GMVJ5CK&linkCode=as2&tag=readiculoupea-20&linkId=R3PX3H2RMSHPYTAB
Synopsis:
The Exciting Continuation Of The Beyond the Eyes Trilogy. If you could have the power to control evil, would you want it? In a rainy, misty town filled with moss-covered trees and dwarfed by wooded mountains, Astoria, Oregon, holds many secrets and eighteen-year-old Paige Reed is one of them. She’s immortal, has magical abilities she’s discovering, and harbors King Solomon’s power inside her. With his incantations, she can control the dark spirits who lurk among societies in soulless humans. But her problems are mounting. Her best friend slips into a coma, and Paige must tap into her newfound powers—powers she’s unsure of—to save her. Through this ordeal, Bael who once commanded a legion of black souls, forces Paige to make a pact with him, causing her to abandon the ones she loves. When she finds out where Solomon’s spells are and tells Bael, she begins to have second thoughts about her agreement with him. Will she risk everything to claim the spells that hold the power to control the dark spirits so she can enslave him? Or will her one true love find her before she makes a horrible mistake that could damage her for life? And most importantly, what does the Devil’s third mean and what is Bael really up to


My Review:
Despite my great admiration for Rebekkah Fords inspiration and writing, I regretfully have to admit that I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the first two installments of the her trilogy, Beyond the Eyes. The story had a lot to promise and it's synopsis peaked my interest immensely. I was keenly looking forward to finding out how Paige and her friends would continue their journey on finding the incantations, now knowing that she possessed the power of this almighty Solomon Ring while battling with so many characters and new powers . Unfortunately, I did not find myself clinging as much to my kindle as I had hoped , and had meager motivation to continue reading The Devil's Third. Despite my slight let downs, I was still very pleasantly surprised on how Ms. Ford excelled in her writing and expanded (even more) on her fantastic knowledge and imagination of the paranormal.

Let's get into it!

My affection for the characters (Paige, Carrie, Nathan, and Tree), which in the first and second book genuinely enticed me, diminished more and more throughout The Devil's Third. I often found the reactions of the characters to be unbelievable and unnatural. In the most unfathomable situations where one would be completely traumatized, these characters get up, brush off the dust, shrug off the terror they just witness, and continue with a sense of simplicity and nonchalance. This lack thereof left me feeling slightly irritated and incomprehensive towards the character's true colors. I also lost the connectivity and electricity between Nathan and Paige. For some reason... it just wasn't there for me... and perhaps the lack of their genuine emotions had evoked that.

In the installment of this trilogy, Dark Spirits, I felt like I was promised a strong love triangle, however little of this came forward. Unfortunately, there was solely one chapter dedicated to this (although, this one was a very enjoyable one!). Of course there were hints of this love triangle floating here and there throughout the story, but I just anticipated more of it. This left my big heart a little disappointed.

The timing of the events were not always so conveniently planned out in my opinion, and it did not always compliment the flow of the storyline. This made the story go at quite a slow pace and therefore slightly withered my interest in the story. It is not until towards the end of the book until the characters finally go off on their mission to find these mystical incantations. Once the characters realized that time was a wasting and they soon needed to embark their mission, the book made a big turn in my opinion and I finally recognized once more the talent Rebekkah Ford possesses in emerging the reader completely into the story by the hand of her thrilling and full of suspense writing style.

I must say that Ms. Ford's writing skills has improved immensely (not that it was bad in the first place)! Her stunning and embellished descriptions of the scenery and history was done to such a fine extent that I felt that I was almost there with the characters. This was very enjoyable and made the story quite pleasant to read. The world she created, along with the badass characters (such as the Dark Spirits) were just amazing and that was genuinely what drew me in, in the first place and sparked me to read until the very last page of this trilogy.

I gave this book three stars due to the lack of action in this story and my diminishing connectivity with the characters. I definitely felt like all the elements were there to make this book a fast paced and a can't-put-you down awesome read, but unfortunately they were quite often delayed by historical and factual descriptions and explanations which I felt could have been minimised slightly for the favor of the reader.

I do on the other hand appreciate and admire the immense dedication Ms. Ford has put in this trilogy and I find it inspiring the amount of research and knowledge she has implemented in her work.

Rebekkah Ford has truly turned into an impressive author with beautiful writing skills and boundless imagination; and I really do look forward to reading more of her work!